• In April of 1957 I was roped into becoming an ‘actor’ by my friend Lenny who I had previously played a trick on (You can read about how I was tricked into this by going to chapter 13 of my auto-bio: “The Crazy LIfe of a Kid From Brooklyn”. We were stationed in Seoul, Korea and we put on 6 stellar performances for the 8th Army, 24th and 7th Divisions. I played LInus Larrabee in one of the main parts and I still remember one of my lines, where I lecture Maude on funerals: ” Lyman Ward who was my friend and who now lies dead in Oyster Bay, once observed that man’s progression through this world is a series of indignities. He is born in an undignified manner, is married as an insignificant part of a female ritual, procreates in a grotesquely undignified position and spends the rest of his life being virtually ignored. In the light of this it was Lyman’s belief….and is mine, that it is man’s duty and the duty of his friends to see to it that his exit from this world at least shall be made with all possible dignity. It is very little but it is all that is left.”

    (Note that the play was directed by Garry Marshall of Hollywood fame)

  • Note from Kathy Fulmer Kilpatrick on 26th July 2017
    I did go to the pool too. Guess it was same pool in 65.
    I wish I did take some photos. Was such a wonderful time. I was 15/16. Junior year. Didn’t take many pictures . Wish I had.
    I Lived there from 65-66. My dad was prob-mag K
    • Note from Sue Kizer on 26th July 2017

      We went to a pool maybe 2 blocks from the old high school. I know it wasn’t the Officers Club. 1967-1970

      • Note from Regina Ortenzi on 26th July 2017

        I remember the pool. I Lived at Yongsan 1964-67. I Was in high school. SAHS

        • Note from Lee Ann Spivey Prillaman on July 26th 2017 :
          My patch (probably from summer of 82 or 83)

        • Note from Lee Ann Spivey Prillaman:
          My patch (probably from summer of 82 or 83)
        • Note from Summer Robbins Turner on July 27th 2017:
          I was a Lifeguard at the Officers Club 1988. Loved it!
          • Note from Tim Mitchell on July 27th 2017:

            The pool was located in what is now the “side” parking lot of the DHL. Once the Officer’s Club closed it’s doors circa ’92/93, the pool lasted perhaps a season or 2 beyond the club. The pool was on the upper part of the side parking lot with 2 tennis courts located on the lower area closest to the hotel.

            • Note from Maria Jordan on march 7th 2018

              I grew up in that pool. We went every day, each summer throughout the sixties and seventies. I remember some kickass Korean lifeguards that were the same every year. They kept us brats in line. There was a snack bar next to the restrooms outside, near the baby pool. Best smelling grilled fatty foods ever.

              We lived in UN Village while going to Seoul American Elementary, then Riverside Apts. during High school. 1960 to 1977. American Kindergarten in 1964 and 65 was held in the Rod and Gun Club. During those yeas the Officers Club had a great Chinese buffet and a twenty piece orchestra that played “Pearly Shells” every night.

              • Yongsan Legacy Podcast 2: Samia Mounts

              • One reason the black market was such a major activity in the 1960s was scarcity of consumer goods on the Korean economy, and the abundance in the PX system.. Thus, the rationing, though small items like cosmetics and cameras were available without restriction. The major appliances like TVs and refrigerators required a letter of authorization from a commanding officer (done in triplicate for control purposes). The control system for major appliances was to cope with heavy demand and high profitability on resale of these goods. Why was it so profitable? Korean industry was in its infancy, and the Park Chung-hee government. had large iduties on imports. A $200 refrigerator might bring a thousand on the black market. Lower-ranking American soldiers( PFCs and Sp4s) were paid maybe $150 or $200 a month,,but if they lived on post, their commanding officer knew they had no need for a refrigerator. This was mainly a problem on large bases such as Yongsan, since tactical units in the field usually had no (legal) off-post quarters at the time. MPCs (scrip) had no bills larger than ten dollars, and every couple of years, there would be a one-day window to exchange the existing series for the new series, easily recognizable by its designs. After that date, the old series was worthless. Keeping the exchange a secret was important because the scrip was printed on Okinawa and flown up on Air America. An extremely large quantity had to be distributed to payroll officers in the field, so word may have leaked out to those “connected,” but the new series arrived on a weekend–and “scrip exchange day” was the following Monday. All compounds were sealed on exchange day. In 1969, I was billeted in a (South Post) three-man hooch (sign above the door was “Westward Ho House) and had a clear view of the PX on main post. Early one Saturday morning, before the PX opened, there was a large fire at the PX that destroyed the cashier’s office–burning the records of transactions. No one was blamed for the fire, but it seems to have started in the cashier’s office. The big surprise on the following Monday was that all compounds in Korea–including Yongsan– were sealed for “Scrip exchange day,” Life is full of strange coincidences.

              • Load More

              © 2018 Yongsan Legacy Cooperative


              Log in with your credentials


              Forgot your details?


              Create Account