My top 5 favorite things I loved about living in Seoul Yongsan Garrison are;
- The SUBWAY; It was safe, clean, cheap and you could get anywhere quickly!
- The CULTURE/EVENTS of Seoul; There was always a palace, museum or park to explore or an event to attend. We were constantly busy and considering the size of Seoul, the amount of green space is refreshing!
- The surrounding MOUNTAINS; every Friday, I’d get on the subway and within an hour, I’d be hiking to the top of the world… and the views were amazing!
- The FOOD; Itaewon had wonderful restaurants, all within walking distance of home, where you could experience the world through your taste buds!
- The PEOPLE; The Korean people are friendly, kind, hard-working and generous…always willing to help a confused American! They became our family during our 5 years in Korea and I will always hold them close in my heart.
Our sons enjoyed visiting us in Seoul.
The three of them like their dad are all in the military, Nicholas USNA ’09 is a Maj USMC MV-22 pilot and will attend medical school @UPenn in Aug 2020. Eric USMA ’11 CPT USA FA Officer (like his Dad) is currently attending grad school for MBA in CO and Stephen USNA ‘12 LT USN Seahawk pilot is teaching flight school in Pensacola.
Unfortunately, our last visit to Korea was me alone with our sons. Tom had already left us. The purpose of the trip was to attend the opening of the Training Complex in Camp Humphreys which was dedicated to him. It was a very special occasion for us.
Thomas S Vandal (†)
Stationed in Yongsan from 2013 – 2018
Lt. Gen. Thomas Vandal positions:
2013-2015 2ID Commander
2015-2016 J3 USFK
2016-2018 8thArmy Commander
by Doreen Vandal.